Thursday, March 5, 2009

Locking Up A Number One Seed?

After the big win against Marquette last night, it seems everyone's talking about a #1 seed being locked up.

With last night's 90-75 victory against Marquette, the Panthers are all but assured of being a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament for the first time in school history.


Maybe it's just me, but I'd say it's a bit of a reach to say it's locked up. Does Pitt deserve one regardless of what it does against UCONN and in the Big East Tournament? I think so. But with the history of seeding, I wouldn't call it a guarantee. If Pitt would happen to get blown out on Saturday then lose badly in their first Big East game, strong performances by UNC, Memphis, UCONN, and Oklahoma could be enough to knock Pitt out.

Not to mention teams could all end up with fewer losses than Pitt. Again, it's going to be hard for Pitt not to get a #1 seed. But I don't know if it's the lock everyone seems to think it is.

On the injury front, Levance is listed as questionable for the big game Saturday. Personally, I think he'll have to be practically dead not to play. But I'd be all for him sitting this one out. It's a big game, but not that important in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather see him sit out, then come back for the Big East Tournament in a tune up.

No comments:

Post a Comment