Sunday, March 14, 2010

A #3 It Is

I really thought Pitt deserved a 3-seed, but wasn't sure they would actually get it. As I said before, I think Pitt is the only team to defeat three top five teams. They had not only a bunch of good wins, they had multiple great ones. Looking at the bracket, it's hard to complain. They missed out on playing in Providence where they may have had a few more fans as that's Big East territory, but the driving distances to Providence and Milwaukee from Pittsburgh are about the same.

The draw they got was pretty favorable for the first two rounds. Pitt should defeat Oakland and while Xavier is not a gimme game, they are a bit down from last year's team.

Even the bracket after that isn't terrible. Facing BYU in Utah would be tough, but out of the two seeds, I think they got the best draw against, what I think, is a somewhat overrated Kansas State team.

All in all, Pitt fans should have no beef with this draw.

2 comments:

  1. Lee,

    I respectfully have to disagree with you about K-State, I live in Dallas Texas and had the chance to watch them on TV and in person a few times.

    They hit their free throws and shoot the three extremely well, in the west that is the only team I think Pitt will be at an extreme disadvantage if they meet.

    The #3 seed is very favorable, the sweet sixteen is a very distinct possibility and with a little luck I really think they can go through their region.

    Hopefully they make it to Utah because I plan on making that trip in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the insight. I'm going to be researching them a little more tonight and tomorrow (not to get ahead of myself, because Xavier will be no gimme).

    I have to admit, I've only seen them once this year and my thoughts were based purely from looking at their schedule.

    I still don't know if I'd rather play Nova, WVU, or Ohio State instead of them, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete